Mardi Himal Trek – Base Camp Trek
The Mardi Himal Trek is also known as the Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek, a newly established but very popular trekking route in the Annapurna region of Nepal. The trek will take you to Mardi Himal Base Camp at 4,500 meters. Mardi Himal Base Camp is located east of Annapurna Base Camp and near Pokhara.
The Mardi Himal Trek route has been open to trekkers since 2012, but has quickly gained popularity and is used by thousands of international and local trekkers each year. Along the Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek you can see the most beautiful mountains Mardi Himal, Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), Annapurna I, Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, and Gangapurna.
In addition to the mountain views, the trek also offers the opportunity to discover the transitional villages, the endless cultural diversity and the alluring views of the river. The trek passes through ancient rhododendron forests and brings you close to Mardi Himal.
There are many starting points for the Mardi Himal Base Camp trek, but Kande and Dhampus phedi are the most popular. The trek itinerary is given below also starts from Dhampus phedi after 40 minutes drive from Pokhara. First, the steep trail leads up to the village of Dhampus, then on a flat and steep walk to Pothana (1,950 m) and then to Pitam Deurali (2,100 m).
There is a right turn in Deurali sign posted “Forest Camp” the trail is through the jungle, at first up then undulating on the top of a ridge, there is a section just over half way where the trail drops steeply and then slowly gains height and then back onto the ridge and into Forest Camp (2,550 m).
This trail is initially quite steep leaving Forest Camp, but soon gets less steep as you again get up on the ridge. The trail leaves Low Camp in the jungle again, but the trees soon start getting smaller. After about an hour of trekking exits the jungle with spectacular views of Machhapuchhre on the open ridge and Annapurna south to the left. Finally, you reach High Camp above the treeline, you must prepare for colder temperatures.
High Camp is the last tea house stop where most of the trekkers stay for the night before going to Mardi Himal Base Camp. If you stay the night at Low Camp or Badal Danda, it is possible to reach Mardi Himal Base Camp (4,500 m) and back to High Camp in a single day. But it's hard.
This makes a long day trek, but there is also a viewpoint about halfway, the amazing view can be seen from here. After that, we trek to the High Camp, then to the Low Camp, and then we proceed to Siddhing and Lumre. From Lumre, we drive back to Pokhara and the next day drives back to Kathmandu.
11 days Mardi Himal Base Camp trek includes 6 days trekking (8 days from Kathmandu) and one day sightseeing in Kathmandu, two days for arrival and departure from Kathmandu.
Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek Highlights
- Reaching the Mardi Himal Base Camp offers a close-up view of the Mardi Himal and the surrounding peaks.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path offers a more serene and tranquil trekking experience.
- Hike through diverse landscapes, including terraced fields, lush forests, alpine meadows and high-altitude moraines.
- Offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the Annapurna range, including the famous peaks of Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, Machhapuchhre, Mardi Himal and Lamjung Himal.
- The hike takes you through traditional Nepalese villages, where you can get to know the culture and hospitality of the Gurung and Magar communities.
- The trail leads through beautiful rhododendron and oak forests, which are particularly impressive in spring when the rhododendrons are in full bloom.
- One of the most beautiful and quickly accessible base camp hikes of medium difficulty, suitable for all age groups.
- Offers the opportunity to combine the Mardi Himal Trek with other trekking in the Annapurna region or a jungle safari in Chitwan National Park.
- Staying in teahouses along the route, enjoy local meals, and share experiences with other trekkers.
Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek Cost
The cost of the Mardi Himal Base Camp trekking package depends on various factors. These include the size of the group (Larger groups might be able to negotiate better rates, while solo trekkers or small groups may pay a premium for personalized services), the level of services included (budget, standard, luxury) and the reputation and standard of the trekking company you choose.
The Alpine Adventure Club announces the cost and some fixed departure dates for the Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek for groups joining in 2024 and 2025, the cost includes the standard service. If you wish to participate in a private trek, the cost will be different.
Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival at Kathmandu airport and transfer to hotel
Day 02: Kathmandu Sightseeing and trek Preparation
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara (820 m) by tourist bus
Day 04: Drive to Dhampus Phedi and trek to Pothana (1,900 m)
Day 05: Trek from Pothana to Forest Camp (2,554 m)
Day 06: Trek to High Camp (3,600 m)
Day 07: Trek to Mardi Himal Base Camp (4,500 m) and back to High Camp (3,600 m)
Day 08: Trek from High Camp to Siding Village (1,700 m)
Day 09: Trek from Siding Village to Lumre (1,200 m) then drive to Pokhara (820 m)
Day 10: Drive to Kathmandu (1,350 m) by tourist bus
Day 11: Drive to Airport for flying your own destination